Easter Brunch Recipe: Spinach and Cheese Strata
Make ahead recipes are the best for special occasions! Make this delicious and easy dish from Once Upon A Chef the day/night before you need it and serve up a time free and impressive dish for Easter Brunch.
• 1 pound bag chopped frozen spinach, thawed
• 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 1 large yellow onion, chopped
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• 12 ounces Italian sandwich bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
• 1-1/2 cups coarsely grated Gruyère
• 2/3 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
• 9 large eggs
• 2-3/4 cups half & half
• 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
• 1-3/4 teaspoons salt
• 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
• 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1. Melt the butter in a large pan and cook onion until soft. Add the garlic and drained spinach and cook.
2. Butter a 3-quart baking dish. Spread one third of the bread cubes in the dish and top evenly with one third of spinach mixture. Sprinkle with one third of each cheese. Repeat layering, ending with cheeses.
3. Whisk eggs then add half-and-half, Dijon mustard, salt, pepper and nutmeg, continue to wisk until well combined. Pour mixture evenly over the strata. Cover the strata with plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour or overnight.
4. Preheat oven to 325°F. Bake the strata, uncovered, until golden brown all over top, 70-75 minutes.
For full recipe, please visit: www.onceuponachef.com/2015/03/spinach-cheese-strata.html